Like most things in life we need to take care of our furniture especially when it’s outdoors and Mother Nature is going to throw everything at it! Low-maintenance does not mean ‘self-cleaning’ it’s simply easy to care for with minimal effort and cost-effective cleaning products. It is your responsibility to ensure that every reasonable precaution be used in the care and use of your purchase. To help you, we’ve compiled Care & Maintenance tips for your outdoor furniture:
HOW TO CLEAN SUNBRELLA® OUTDOOR FABRIC
One of the best ways to keep Sunbrella fabrics looking good is to brush off dirt before it becomes embedded in the fabrics and wipe up spills or clean soon after a stain occurs. The quicker you clean spills and stains, the easier they can be to remove.
For a new spill or stain on your Sunbrella fabric:
- Blot (don’t rub) liquid spills with a clean, dry cloth. For oil-based spills, apply an absorbent such as baby powder or cornstarch, then remove with a straight edge.
- Spray on a mild cleaning solution of soap such as Dawn or Woolite, diluted in water. Sunbrella highly recommends the 303® Mulipurpose Cleaner available to purchase from our showroom.
- Rinse the fabric thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
- Air dry; drying time varies depending on weather conditions (i.e. temperature, sun exposure, wind, humidity, etc.).
If you did not upgrade to Quick-Dry foam, your cushions may absorb some water/moisture in the cleaning process and require an extended dry time. If so, stand cushions upright with zipper facing down to allow drainage and improve air circulation. Do not remove cushion covers and place them in a clothes dryer. They may shrink and be almost impossible to put back on.
If your first try doesn’t get the stain completely out, try this next:
- Place the whole cushion flat on the ground. Ensure the ground is clean. Do not remove the fabric cover from the inside foam.
- Spray undiluted bleach on the spots and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Wet the cushion with a hose thoroughly and evenly after spraying with bleach. The sides and bottom should be wet too.
- Use a soft brush to lightly scrub the the whole cushion (not just the stains) with dish soap and vinegar until foamy.
- Rinse the cushion well with the hose, including the back and sides.
- Dry the cushion on its side (edge) to drain faster. The drying time takes approximately three hours on a warm, sunny day.
Helpful hints and notes:
- Use a soft brush. Avoid scrubbing, hard bristle brushes or any other abrasive cleaning method. A soft brush will not pill the fabric.
- Sunbrella should only be allowed to air dry. Do not remove cushion covers and place them in the clothes dryer.
- For spot cleaning, white vinegar will prevent water marks when drying.
- Sunbrella fabrics are not affected by bleach at all. The colour is inside the fabric, mixed in vats at the time of manufacture.
- Protect the area around your Sunbrella fabric when using bleach or other chemical solvents that my discolour non-Sunbrella fabrics. Always rinse Sunbrella thoroughly. When in doubt, rinse again and again.
- Bleach can have harmful affects on the natural environment around you. Please follow all safety and environmental precautions according to the bleach label.
- If the fabric has some wrinkling, use an iron on the synthetic setting. As iron temperatures may vary, first test a small inconspicuous area before ironing the entire piece.
- Do not use a steamer or an iron set to the steam setting.
- There is not guarantee that all stains will come out.
- If washing does not work, bring the cushion back to ARD. We will remove the cover and send it for a professional dry cleaning service. If dry cleaning does not work, ARD can make a new cover, should the fabric still be in production and in-stock.
Here are some videos:
- How to Clean Your Upholstery
- How to Clean Red Wine Stains
- How to Clean Pizza Stains
- How to Clean Dried Ketchup
- How to Clean Chocolate
- How to Clean Fresh Sunblock
- How to Clean Salt Residue
- How to Clean Blueberry Stains
- Outdoor Durability Challenge
- Sunbrella Performance
- Why Choose Sunbrella
- Indoor Durability challenge
Sunbrella fabrics are treated with a proprietary water and stain repellent finish that is designed to last for several years, but may require replenishing after a thorough cleaning. Sunbrella recommends 303® Fabric Guard™, available to purchase see sales associate for details.
To apply a retreatment:
- Clean the Sunbrella fabric, using one of the cleaning methods.
- Allow Sunbrella to completely air dry.
- Apply the retreatment in a well-ventilated area following instructions on the container.
Though Sunbrella fabrics can be used both outdoors and in, your cleaning methods should differ slightly indoors and out because of the fabrication and manufacturing of the furniture. We recommend using the appropriate cleaning instructions for your application.
HOW TO CLEAN & MAINTAIN RESIN/POLY-WICKER OUTDOOR FURNITURE FRAMES
- Remove any cushions from your furniture and soak the frame in water; don’t worry, it’s waterproof! A garden hose is effective or a bucket of warm water.
- Spray down the furniture then apply a soap mixture – Mix about ¼ cup (approx 60ML) of mild detergent or dish soap with approximately 1 gallon (approx 3 Liters) of warm water. Moisten a soft-bristle brush into the solution.
- Lightly scrub any dirt from your resin wicker with the soft-bristle brush. The soap solution will help break down dirt making it easier to spray off. Ensure you get between the hand-woven wicker. Use soft bristles to clean hard-to-reach areas.
- For tree sap, try Goo-Gone or a similar product. You MUST rinse this off once tasks is complete as prolonged exposure to these grime removing agents may discolour the weave.
- After brushing the furniture, spray down with garden hose or a bucket of water until all soap residue is gone. Let your patio set dry in the sun for at least 2 hours. Dry time varies pending temperature, humidity, sun exposure, wind etc.
- After everything is dry, return the cushions to the patio furniture. Now sit back and relax because your outdoor wicker furniture set looks as good as new!
HOW TO CLEAN & MAINTAIN CONCRETE PRODUCTS
Our concrete products are comprised of natural materials, granite stone powder, Portland cement, nylon net and water. Much like any natural material such as wood or stone, concrete is a porous material. We have sealed your concrete with a wax sealer that will provide active protection against staining. To ensure the lasting beauty of your concrete surfaces we recommend reviewing and practicing the following care and maintenance instructions.
The product has been sealed for protection against moisture and staining. Once the pieces have been waxed we recommend allowing them to remain free of objects on the surface for at least 6 to 12 hours. This enables the wax to penetrate the material evenly before the beginning of regular use. The wax we use is a paraffin based substance that hardens the material and protects the surface from staining.
Cleaning your Product
Clean your FRC product using mild soap (such as dish soap) and water. Do not use heavy abrasive, bleach-based, or ammoniated cleansers. Use of such cleansers will wear down the wax protection and result in less stain resistance. We do not recommend use of most natural cleansers (which are often citrus based), as the cleaning agent is typically highly acidic and can damage natural materials.
Re-wax periodically. Waxing your product regularly is a quick and easy process that will provide additional protection against staining. Wax once within 2 months of installation of your product and every 3 to 6 months thereafter, depending on use and location. If the product is placed outside, wax it well before winter. Cover and raise off the ground! Recommended product for this our Repair- and Polish Wax or any other commercially available Stone floor wax on paraffin base.
Regular food preparation will not stain the concrete as the sealer and wax serve as active barriers. In the event that the coating is knowingly cut, scraped, or damaged, new wax should be reapplied. Spills should be wiped up as soon as possible. While the waxing performs well against stains from oils and acidic materials, prolonged exposure may cause penetration of the sealer and possible discoloration.
Expect occasional rings to appear from unknown liquids. Oils in particular can penetrate the surface if forced in from the weight of a glass or jar. Wiping up oil spills can minimize staining.
Please note that bath oils in particular should not be used as they will cause staining from being left in contact with the surface of the concrete for too long. The first stain is always the worst.
Expect the wear of your product to contribute to its uniqueness. Using felt or rubber feet pads is recommended for the bottom surfaces of all objects left to remain on the surface of your product indefinitely, especially unglazed ceramics such as terracotta pots. Unglazed ceramics compete for residua l moisture in the concrete and may cause discoloration. Do not place hot objects on the surface as they may cause discoloration. Using a trivet is recommended. At any point, refrain from putting blue painter’s tape or other adhesives directly on the product.
Although not considered a defect, non-structural hairline cracks are possible and may result from shrinkage and the natural curing process. If hairline cracks do appear, immediately apply a thick coat of wax and rub in well to prevent moisture from seeping into the cracks and causing discoloration. Re-wax the area and surrounding surfaces periodically as detailed above.
HOW TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN ALUMINUM & STAINLESS FRAMES
Use a soft damp cloth with warm soapy water to wipe down aluminum and/or stainless frames, follow with a soft dry cloth to polish is required. DO NOT USE HARSH OR ABRASIVE CLEANERS, brushes or pads as this will damage the finish and void the warranty.
HOW TO CLEAN & MAINTAIN TEAK
Teak is very durable and will last for generations. It only needs some basic cleaning to remove dirt and to prevent external mold growth. You should choose a sunny day to clean your teak furniture so that it will dry faster. It is recommended to use a specially formulated teak cleaner such to clean and brighten the wood at the same time. Soapy water will also suffice for basic cleaning.
HOW TO CLEAN & POLISH STREAK FREE GLASS TABLE TOPS
Keeping a glass table clean of dirt and debris is more inviting. Keeping it and streak free and shiny requires a few simple items: distilled water, a squirt bottle, a microfiber cloth, vinegar, and newspaper.
- Clear table top then with a microfiber cloth, remove any dust or other non-sticky spills, such as salt, saving the stickier spills for the next step.
- Next, spray water onto the table using a spray bottle. Plain hot water works best because it leaves no streaks.
- Using a dry, clean microfiber cloth, wipe the glass tabletop down, cleaning up any sticky spills as you go. (Repeat step 2 and 3 if needed to get the table clean of all dirt and debris.)
- To finish, use straight vinegar to clean up any stubborn stains or spills. Then, use a clean, dry microfiber cloth to clean the vinegar away.
- To polish, a piece of crumpled newspaper gives your table added sparkle. This also removes any fluff from cloth and makes the glass shine.
HOW & WHEN TO USE PROTECTIVE COVERS
We provide heavy duty all season custom furniture covers; made in Canada and templated to fit all our collections with secure tie-downs. We recommend cushions are ALWAYS CLEAN & DRY PRIOR to covering to avoid creating a dark, damp environment where mould & mildew could grow.
BENEFITS OF WATERPROOF STORAGE BOXES
Our Water-proof storage containers come in various colours. With 4 locking casters these large storage containers can easily be moved around and provide an extra surface area when lid is closed. Safely store patio cushions and play things within reach, in style and away from the elements.
Your ARD Outdoor furniture will last for years with proper care and maintenance. If you are unsure of how to properly care for or clean your merchandise, please contact our sales team for expert advise at [email protected].